Accidents In Public Places

Have You Had An Accident In A Public Place?

If you are injured on public property, you may be entitled to make a claim. Even if you were partly to blame, talk to our solicitors: We have the experience to assess the strength of your case quickly — no matter where in the country you live. If you have a valid claim, we will represent you on a no-win, no-fee basis.

Was Your Accident On Public Property?

A person or company owning any public area is legally obliged to take out an insurance policy to meet the compensation claims of members of the public injured on the property. A "public place" can mean:

  • Land owned by a public body, such as the council — Including parks, leisure centres, playgrounds, schools, council buildings and offices
  • Property that is privately owned — For example, restaurants, pubs, shops, supermarkets and car parks

Accidents that give rise to compensation claims arise in a huge number of ways. At Woodward Solicitors between Wigan and St. Helens, the type of case we regularly handle includes personal injury claims caused by:

  • Defective footpaths
  • Potholes
  • Tree roots
  • Loose produce in supermarket aisles
  • Tripping hazards such as uncleared stock on shop floors
  • Poor fencing
  • Defective stairs

Action To Take If You Have Had An Accident

Successful claims depend on evidence: Protect your claim by taking some simple steps:

  • Even before you contact us, report the accident to someone at the property.
  • Get a responsible person to make a note of your accident in the accident book.
  • Get names and addresses of witnesses.
  • Take photographs of the area.
  • If you tripped on pavement, put a ruler or a coin standing upright beside the defect before you take the photograph to give an idea of the depth and height.
  • Keep all receipts for medical expenses and travelling costs.

Contact Us

To arrange your free consultation, call us on 08453 400061 or get in touch online. Our offices are opposite Haydock Park racecourse in Newton-le-Willows.